Established in 1887 as the Ballarat Hotel, this grand old lady was renamed as The Great Ocean Road Brewhouse in 2015. The hotel was built and owned by Henry Lazenby Costin in approximately 1887. Henry relocated his large family from Percydale, near Ballarat to Apollo Bay shortly thereafter.
Many hotels took on this name (Ballarat Hotel) due to the source of the ale, The Ballarat Brewery.
An advertisement for the sale of the hotel in the Geelong Advertiser in 1908 boasted large bar, 25 guest rooms, a billiard room, 2 parlours, kitchen, bakehouse, coach house, commercial room stable and feed house.
The Hotel was purchased in the 1920’s by Corke and Powling where the lower floor was rebuilt in brick in the 1930’s. In the 1940’s further alterations and the upper floor were completed.
Along with new ownership, this grand old lady was renamed as The Great Ocean Road Brewhouse in 2015. The hotel has a new lease on life, with the new owners and passionate locals set to recreate this historic hotel to her former glory days.